Wednesday 20 August 2014

The Story of Berlin Reading List

I've been to Berlin once before in 2012. I'll be going again in a few weeks and this time I'll be better informed!

I've written about my plan for picking out interesting landmarks or points of historical relevance along the 2014 Berlin Marathon route here. And I'd like to put those markers into  proper context, so I've set myself a bit of a reading list. This is definitely not a definitive list. If I have time, I'll add to it.

For now, this is what I'm planning on reading:

  • Faust's Metropolis: A History of Berlin by Alexandra Richie
  • The Ghosts of Berlin: Confronting German History in the Urban Landscape by Brian Ladd
  • Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by Antony Beevor
  • Stasiland by Anna Funder
  • Berlin at War by Roger Moorhouse
  • Hitler's Children by Jillian Becker
  • The Berlin Wall by Frederick Taylor
  • Berlin: Imagine a City by Rory MacLean
That looks almost as ambitious as me running a marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment